Thursday 20 August 2009

Why, yes Mr. Grasshopper please hide behind my cupboard and KEEP ME UP ALL NIGHT.

As you can tell by the title a grasshopper hid away behind my cupboard ribbeting away all night long!! half the night I had loud music playing in my ears or I was shoving earplugs down my poor earholes!!

So, one thing I'm not going to miss about Nepal is the way the people seem to "hock up" their phlegm and retch it out every single morning, thank god my family don't do it, but everyone else seems to - not a good thing to listen to!

Back in Kathmandu on Saturday, we were walking out the hotel and this woman and her baby were begging in the street, I felt sooo badd, and she was asking me to buy some milk for her baby, showing me her little baby bottle, so I went into the shop she was standing outside and I saw the till guy just smile when we walked in, then the woman takes me to get the biggest tin of milk powder costing like 1000 rupees, and I was thinking whattttt?? then one of the girls in my group told me that her host brother does the same thing, begs for certain necessities and then goes back to the shop and refunds it at a lower price - taking the money for themselves and I just thought nahh mate and walked out. It's really easy for Westerners here to get conned! Imean, I know there are people struggling here, BUT Kathmandu is tourist central, and people will take the damn biscuit, for example, souvenir shopping, I wanted to buy this pretty bag and the woman started off with 800 rupees, thats like someones wage packet for the week, but obviously you need to get the hang of haggling - and I got it down to 400 - HALF PRICE!! But then I got home and my host brother tells me I still got conned and the bag3is worth like 200 rupees, but standard, 400 rupees is pratically 3.50 quid, so I'm not too bothered!

Obviously I told you about "Crazy Burger" - the nicest burgers on this side of the planet!! Yes, I can already tell it's going to be a great pasttime of ours - ahahah!!!

We had a bit of a problem getting back to our village from the city because our taxis were lattte picking us up!! I tell you, drivers here are CRAZY!!! I swear, beeping their horns is liike breathing to them!! Haha!! No-one indicates, people just move in and out of lanes at their own accord!! I soo surprised we haven't witnessed an accident yet!! Although, saying that, my taxi actually tapped a teenage boy's front bicycle wheel when the driver was trying to take a shortcut, and the boy popped out from behind a bus....

I dont't know whether I'm repeating myself, but oh well, when I first arrived at my host family's house I assumed they were vegetarians because they sdaid they didn't eat meat, but a week later and after some clarification it turns out that because my "dad's" dad had died last year and due to cultural traditions (Hindu - Bhramin) the family cannot eat meat for a whole year, which is up in 3 weeks!! Woohoo!! Alsoo, my lil "bro's" birthday is next week and the parents can't celebrate it at all - pisseddd!! I feel bad for him - he's so sweet!! Also, there are a few festivals going on at the moment, e.g. on Sunday where the woman celebrate their father's and husband's lives be fasting all day and going to a temple in the hills and dancing (which I WILL be doing - hahaha!!), where my "mum" will not be able to celebrate - again, pissed.

Back to the construction site, we have a kind of system going now, where some people dig the mud up, then some people shovel up the mud and then some people wheelbarrow it away - haha - pretty good don't you think! Ud. So, we've filled up the ditch and now we've still got all this excess mud, so we have to "wheelbarrow" the rest over the edge! It's going pretty well, but in the case of yesterday, when you have the Sun beating down on you all day long with only brief moments of breezes, it's not good, people had headaches, nausea, lightheadedness, so yeah, we weren't working to our full potential! Also, in the case of today, where I'm somehow able to be sitting at the computer and not working on the site at this very moment in time, is due to the rain pissing down all morning long and ending up with HUGGEE mud puddles on the work site!! Thus, getting the day off - Woohoo to the rain!! To be honest, it's good we had a day today, I don't think anyone would've worked well todayaffter the gruelling session yesterday!!

Mhmmm, I keep talking about Sushi and Dimsum - craving THAT now!

For our tiffin (lunch), most days we get pasta or noodles.... the other day we had chow mein - mhmm with a few bits of hot chillies thrown in - nice. Also, the other day we had fat omelettes inside roti's, ohh, best tiffin yet, by far.

Felt kinda low during the week cos I missed my mates 21st bday - booo! - Can't belive I missed THAT milestone!! All the prezzies, CAKES, photo sesh's, singing, kmtt!!!

Also, got to speak to BOTH my sister's, each living on separate sides of the world, it was nice catching up with them!!

Oh yeah, A BIGGG THANKS to Rachel for the tuness and the jelly beans, they have kept me going mannn!!!!!

love and leave ya!! xx

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of you :) This is becoming like my favourite thing to read! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with stef mannN!!!
    and yaayyy..we will have a welcome back home jaja party when you home..NO DOUBT!!!! get things pop locking eh eh ;-)! your welcom for the shizz..although the beans were from vasha aswell!! and hope you feeling J Cole tracks. his sick xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh munchin i miss you <3 xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete