Saturday 15 August 2009

First Week Continued....

Heyyyy, I'm back in Kathmandu!!! We got back yesterday!!

So, back to when we were staying at the hotel its funny when we would have to take group pictures because everyone would wanna get one on their camera, so you'd have this one guy taking pictures on 30 different cameras...ahahah!!!! Also, soem of the people kept on encouraging us to eat the "Nepali way", as in with our hands, now I'm allr ight with that seing as though I do that at home anyways, but to see other people doing it was soo interesting... I was quite shocked to see practically everyone having a go at it, somewhat proud even that they were even trying it, I even helped a couple girls, giving tips to make sure the rice daon't fall through their fingers,hahah!!!

Bal Krishna is one of the project supervisors, and he is the most sincere, kindhearted and optimistic person I have ever met, I tell ya! This guy is soo passionate about his work, he really cares about the volunteers getting the most out of their experience, it's a shame he's not with us at Sirutar!!!

We found out that we're here for the Deshain and Tihar Festivals which last for a whole week, and guess what???? We get the whole week off!!! Ahhhh, cant wait!! But I'm a bit miffed that we're not here for Divali, now THAT would have been a experience!!!!

The Monkey Temple was amazinggg, there was this one bit where the stairway up to the temple was realllly steep and like literally 200 metres long, but we didnt get to walk up it, I only took a pic at the top...Haha!

We also got to meet Bal Krishna's son... the sweetest little boy, so cute!!

To end outtime at the hotel and before we separated into the Sirutar and Lamatar group, we all decided to have a "jam session" up on the roof, it was really nice, two of the guys, Tarik and Ben brought along their guitars and we sang Wonderwall, aww!

So. When I got taken to my host family's house, only my "mum" was home, this woman is soooo sweet, all she did was giggle and act shy because she couldn't really understand me, but now I've spoken to her more through the kids and a little bit in Bengali, she treats me like a daughter and tells her kids to call me "big sister", awwwww!!!
I have a nice lil quaint room, simple, a bed and lil corner table and some draws, I'm not fussed, I could have lived out of my suitcase if I had to!! Stuck up pictures of home yesterday on my wall cos I was feeling a bit down and my family saw them and kept on asking me "Do I miss home??", so I felt a bit bad cos they felt like that!

Its amazing how smart my siblings are!! My "sister" was showing me her homework and she is 15 years old.... oh my gosh!... this girl is doing things like compoung interest profit and loss, probability, proofs......THINGS I DID IN MY FIRST AND SECOND YEAR AT UNI!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! Here I am a graduate and this girl is only like a year away from my level....WOW!!

Oh yeah, my "siblings" like to make fun of the fact that I say "wow" all the time!! haha!! They feel they can already start cussin me, feels like home a;ready..

At the site, we are working with THE most beautiful scenerybehing us, justpicture fields and fields of rice paddies and then green mountains as a backdrop!!! b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!!!!!

We got given all our work equipment, gloves, helmet, goggles and mask - it was sooo funny when you had all the gear on, look like we were about to go to war!! But we're only usng the gloves at the moment.

We had to first basically fill this ditch with allthis mud we were digging from the other endof the site, which is practically filled now!! Now we have to get rid of all the mud and start the levelling process!! Great - more back-breaking work!!!

It's weird everywhere I go people keep assuming I'm Nepali, so I say I'm bengali, but then that just leads to more questions, so I just say I'm from the UK now, just to save from the hassle. :s

Interesting fact, the village we're staying at, not everyone celebrates the same..... "things". For example, my family are of Chitri caste and there was a festival celebrating the birth of Krishna on Wednesday and we didnt celebrate it, whereas other families of Newari caste didand attanded a ceremony being held in thevillage. That was a bad noght for me - haha - because the house behind my room were celebraing all night, playing banging loud music until 3am - and yes - i didn't get to sleep until 3am. Grr!!

It's sweet, my family spend alot of time with me, say I'm in my room the sibling will come and sit with me and talk about random thing and then the mum would come and sit and join in and even the Dad would be lingering at the doorway, haha!! Funny! And my "mum" is soo sweet she won't goto sleep until I go to sleep - I found this out last night- ooops!!
I brought along with me a 500 peice Simpsons puzzle and started it with the younger boy - "kiss my teeth" - the boy has nearly finished it!! I really wanted to do that!! Damn these smart kids!!
Another funny thing, the boy was listening to my ipod and some grime music came on - Kano, I Like It - and it was hilaaariouss when he started rapping to the chorus!!!

Yesterday, before we left for Kathmandu I had to get some washing done - ONE HOUR!!!!! - because it was all by hand, Ihad to keep re-rinsing my clothes - I had such a backache!!!

I think everyone was kinda relieved about coming to the city seeing as though we've all been living on rice and dhaal the whole week, so the first thing we did - got a cheeseburger and chips - you'd think we were going to a fancy restaurant the way we were acting!!! LOLOL!!!

Anywaysss, until next time luvies!!!!

xxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. "giving tips to make sure the rice daon't fall through their fingers" ---- aphahahahahha!!!!! ^_^ trust you man!!! trust you!!!!!!

    and it sounds sooo sicckkk!! i love reading your this jaja!!!! keep it going keep messaging me ;-) xxxxxxxxxxxx

    and your surrogate famo sounds fun...so so cute...!did they like the stuff you brought them..and bare smart like!!! i would feel MAD STUPID if i was with them!

    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. blud, someones gotta teach em innit!!!

    yay!!! coolio, will try keepin up with it, gona tr on wednesday!!

    i only took like colour pens and tattoos, but i'll leave the puzzle wit them!!!

    miss u b!

    ReplyDelete