Wednesday 5 August 2009

Only One Week To Go!!!!

(Thought I lost this post a week ago, but found it again, so here it is, 1 week late!)

Ahhhhh, my first ever post!

So I have started my very own blog, :] , which is funny because I never thought I'd be one of those people, you know, people who write about their everyday lives, who have other people who actually read about their everyday lives, well, that's what I hope, that I will have others who are interested in the "adventures" in which I am about to embark on (most prob. only Rach - haha! - please let that not be true!!!).
Anywhoooo, back to the reason why I actually started this thing!!! I am off to Nepal next week and have decided to document my journeys - yes -you will get to find out what I get up to in this beautiful and amazing country - hopefully daily, if not then at least weekly!!

My adventure is only possible due to a random conversation I was having a friend of mine, about how I wanted to go travelling after uni (oh yeah, I am a Queen Mary Graduate in Mathematics - yes, boffin, I know.) and not go straight into work (not like there was any chance of that happening!) and so my friend told me about a friend of hers who was in India volunteering and how it was completely free. I thought to myself "Wow, travelling for free?! No Way!" so did some research on this organisation - Platform2 and it turned out yes, she was right!!

Platform2 is a global volunteering scheme for 18-25 year olds who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford to visit a developing country and get involved with global issues of jusice and poverty. It is fully funded by the Department for International Development.

So basically, Platform2 helps young people to visit third-world countries and enables them to "help out", such as, teaching children in schools, building schools, helping out in orphanages, environmental restoration, ect. Platform2 and the DID works in countries such as Nepal, Peru, India, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, in addition to that, I think I heard they will be working in Tanzania also!

I applied back in March for the August departures (lol, they wanted applications to be in 3 moths beforehand, but me being an eager beaver, got it in like an extra 2 months earlier..) and then got a reply in June, I think, for an interview. It was a pretty standard interview, they just wanted to know about me and just wanted me to be as honest as possible about myself. I then heard back from them about a week and a half later saying I got accepted!!!! Woohoo!!! And to Nepal as well!!! And from then on it was practically 'all systems go', like they wanted me to start preparations straight away, I was thinking, 'crap! i only just got accepted, and you want me to start getting injections, filling out forms, ect.' haha! funny thinking about it now, now i've got it all done and just waiting to leave! But it was all worth it, because I'm about to spend 10 WEEKS IN NEPAL - ARGGHHHHHH!!!!

I just read a testimonial on the Platform2 website from two of the guys out in Sirutar, Nepal right now (who were the first batch of people to go there btw!!) and it sounds absolutely amazing!!! Eeeeekkkk!!!! (That's me making a really loud and annoying noise showing how happy I am!!)

That was my first EVER post - over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment