Thursday 3 September 2009

Part 1........

Soooooooo, yes Iknow it hasbeen a while since I posted....apologies!!

I think us volunteers have kinda morphed our mindsets to those who actually live here - Haha!
Take for example my friend Meena, everywhere we go now, she asks the price of something and straaight away she says "I'll give you 200 rupees!", she doesn';t even listen to the asking price, she goes in head-on! Funny shit! Even trying it in the village when everyone knows you DON'T haggle in villages!! Shame on you Meena!

A couple of weeks ago it was Father's Day here in Nepal, and I was rattling my brain thinkin about what to get for my host dad, turns out, a few sweets is appropriate enough, so I bought a couple of "expensive" bars of chocolate, and then come night time, when he got home from work, my "mum" made me actually "present" the sweets to him, kinda funny, kinda awkward... :s, it was a really cultural thing, then they had some indian sweets and we had to feed him!!

Have I told you that my "shower" consists of a bucket in the toilet...!!! Yes, that it what I have to use everyday, my "mum" gets me a big bucket of water from the well each day and I have to wash myself next to the squat toilet....how nice. I literally have to block my nose and breathe through my mouth, in fear of actually gagging! But I'm used to it now, what I'm still NOT used to is the freezing cold water flowing down my back, you'd think because of the boiling hot weather it'd be fine, but nooooooo, still freezing. Haha, funny story, the other day I was taking my "shower" and realised there was one of those fast, jumping spiders right above my head, yeaaa not nice, so my "mum" hears me screaming , lol, and I run out in my towel and all she does is swipe it into the water and it falls down the drain, believe she told my whole family and they were laughin about it the whole night!

The other day my "mum and sister" took my to get some red bangles for the coming festival, which was nice of them, after I found out that if people see a woman wearing red bangles then it means she is married, I guess it's a good thing considering I really don't want any Nepali guys approaching me anyways..... :D Then my sister took me to visit her school, which was really interesting because she goes to a private school, and I've seen what a government school looks like, and it is soo different! My sister has better, cleaner facilities, whereas the school is made out of clay, with everything a mess, also due to an earthquake which happened in 1989. Back to my sisters school, she showed me her class.... those kids are PACKED in. There's about 50 kids in each class, boyyyyy, and how they are all smart, I have no idea! Back in England a class of that size would run riot!! Also, because she has her SLC's (equivalent to GCSE's) coming up, she has to start school at 6am Sunday to Friday and finishes 6pm, are you maddd!??? It's unbelievable, and people round here go bed late, like 11pm/12am, so she and other kids like her only usually get about 4/5 hours sleep! Wow!! I NEED my 8 hours for sureee!! But nowadays it's more like 10 hours cos of all the work we do!!

Run out of time, have sooo much more to write about, will try tomorrow morning!!

xxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. about you dnt want no nepali men!!!! lies! miss you man...CANNOT WAIT TILL SEE YOU. NEWS.

    ReplyDelete